Skip to content

Gulf Coast Native Sheep for Sale

April 29, 2016

IMG_5028

IMG_5133

IMG_4540
We raise Gulf Coast Native Sheep in Hempstead, Texas.
We have ram lambs available.   All sheep are priced at $280 right now.  We have ram lambs, ewe lambs and young ewes.
Gulf Coast Sheep are mostly parasite and hoof rot resistant. We do not vaccinate and we worm only if a lamb does not pass the Famacha test. No ewe lambs that have to be wormed twice will be in the breeding program. Ewes that produce multiple lambs that have to be wormed twice will be culled. No ram lamb that ever has to be wormed will be sold or used as breeding stock. We will, at times, make exceptions with our own breeding stock, but not the “for sale”
stock.
We had 60 inches of rain in two months last spring (2016) and had no cases of hoof rot and one abscessed hoof, even though they were grazing in puddles of water as much as two inches deep at times.
The wet, warm weather is breeding ground for barber pole worm. Out of 29 lambs in 2016, we had to worm 8 lambs. Four had to be wormed twice and they were not in the breeding program.
All lambs are born on pasture with no aid from humans. We do not have a barn or indoor livestock area. We average 1.25 lambs per birth. Gulf Coast Sheep tend to be smaller, reaching processing weight at about 10 to 12 months and yielding about 25 to 30 pounds of meat. The meat is exceptional and is listed on the Slow Food Arc of Taste.  They are fed grass, hay and alfalfa.  With the rains we have had in the past few years, they have had grass almost all year, making feeding economical.  The wool is fairly course with stable lengths varying from two to five inches.
Ours are raised on pasture with a variety of grasses, clovers, forbs, trees and brush. We plant winter cover crops to improve variety and weather tolerance. They tolerate our heat and humidity, but need access to shade when it is hot and sunny.
As parasites become resistant to dewormers, and warming temperatures move those parasites further north, parasite resistant sheep are becoming more popular.
The sheep are registered, or are able to be registered, with the Gulf Coast Sheep Breeders Association. This breed is listed as “critical” by the Livestock Conservancy. Preserving this breed with its’ ability to adapt to the humid southern climate without chemical/medical inputs is important.
If you are spending lots of your time taking care of sheep and are loosing sheep to illness or at birth you might consider the Gulf Coast Native Sheep.
Sheep going out of state might require a healthy certificate and an additional fee of $100.00  per flock would be added for us to take care of this.
A $50.00 deposit per head will reserve your sheep.
Contact me through the contact page on this website if you are interested.  Please understand that I do not answer the phone if you are not in my contacts, and often even if you are, so leave a message or a text.

Advertisements
13 Comments leave one →
  1. Colby Bennett permalink
    November 17, 2016 5:22 am

Hi,

My name is Colby Bennett, I live in Stillwater, OK and I am interested in started a small flock of Gulf Coast Native that are pure, without any wormer or vaccinations.

I noticed on your site there wouldn’t be any stock available until May 2017. I’m thinking 1 ram, 4 ewes. What would be the cost per ewe, and for the ram?

2. Robert Doucet permalink
    November 26, 2016 11:43 pm

Hello,

I am Robert Doucet, i am wanting to start my own breeding heard. I would like to know how many ewes you have available for may 2017 to put together a flock. I live in south Houston and i need these type of sheep to live where I am located.

• December 1, 2016 1:07 pm

I will not know how many quality ewes we will have until they are born and then track their health for a couple of months. That will be April.

3. Tabitha Mixon permalink
    January 9, 2017 9:04 pm

My name is Tabitha Mixon. I live at Goshen Farms, MS.We run a grass-fed meat goat farm,and we`re thinking about buying some because we will never,never give them meds. Do you transport them for the buyer? Are lambs cheaper than grown-ups? Thanks.

• January 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Most of our breeding stock is $280, with the exception of ewes older than 5. I occasionally transport them and charge by the trip, not per animal, so it might be cost effective if you are buying a lot, but not for two or three. We are just now having births and we wean them at five months, so we will have ewes and ewe lambs available in June

4. Matthew Sarver permalink
    February 18, 2017 7:04 pm

High I’m interested in starting my own flock. Do you have any lambs left

• February 19, 2017 12:10 am

We do. They are $280 each. What are you looking for? We have one ram from last year left. He would be from a different sire than the ewe lambs we have available. We have plenty of rams from this year. We do not like to sell them until they are four months old. By then we can analyze their health and decide if they are breeding quality. That would mean the first ones will be available in early May.

5. Tammie Adams permalink
    May 28, 2017 2:40 am

Hello, I am looking for a good milk sheep and have researched the Gulf Coast breed. I would like to to provide milk for my family to make sheep products. Our animals are mostly pets more than any money makers but I am not interested in goats, I want sheep. I don’t have a lifestock trailor for transport. I have a hoopty van I can take seats out and put them some hey for bedding. But ig would be an air conditioned ride for them. I can put a deposit on 2

• May 28, 2017 7:08 pm

I have no experience with milk sheep. I do not think the Gulf Coast are very good for milking, though some people are doing it, they would be bred for that purpose. Ours are not.

6. Doug Mote permalink
    September 17, 2017 10:12 am

My name is Doug Mote and I live up near the Texarkana area. I raise GCN sheep and I was excited to discover your web site. I am looking for a young ram that is old enough to reproduce. I have 8 ewes that are looking for a visit. My phone is 903-638-9194. Thanks

• September 18, 2017 10:33 am

We do not have any ram lambs that are qualified as breeding rams. You might post on the GCN Facebook site.

• September 20, 2017 5:08 pm

We will be selling our older ram in a month, after he has completed his task. We change rams every two years. George/Jack was 100% last year. We then rented him out to a neighbor and he did his job there. He is gentle, hornless. We will offer him for $300. I don’t know where his papers are right now, but I would say he is six or seven years old. He should have another five years left in him.